- Play reduces stress. A quick walk or bike ride before school allows kids to blow off steam so they are more ready to settle down to learn.
- Every child is different. Let your kids take turns picking a new activity for the family to try.
- Play outdoors all year. Sunlight helps our bodies make vitamin D, which increases learning and makes everyone feel better. Make sure to wear sunscreen
- Pick gifts that let kids move: balls, skates, swings, mitts, dance and movement DVDs
- Hike every park in the county: www.monroecountyparks.gov/parks
- Dance, dance, dance…as a family!
- Make an obstacle course of pillows and boxes in the house.
- Stretch before bed with your child. Both of you will have more energy in the morning.
- Play charades based on different sports, from climbing to golfing to swimming.
- Take a walk, or a bike ride, after dinner with your child.
©2010 Greater Rochester Health Foundation • 150 State St., Suite 100, Rochester, NY 14614 • Phone: 585-258-1799 • Fax: 585-258-1711