Beginning Questions for Every Test:
- Where are you from?
- Where do you live now?
- How long have you lived in the United States?
- Do you work?
- Tell me something about what you do every day.
Vocabulary and Topics of Conversation
- Let’s talk about…
- Let’s discuss…
- Now we’re going to talk about…
- Health and exercise
- Family and school
- What people do in their free time
- Learning new things
- Places where people live
- Shopping for new clothes
- Work we need to do around the house
- Coming to live in the United States
- Eating healthy food
- How to get better when you are sick
- People in the community who help us such as police and firefighters
5 Types of Questions:
- Photo: Tell me about this picture
- Entry Item: I like living in my neighborhood. What about you?
I live in a house. What about you?
I like the schools in Rochester. What about you?
- Yes/No Question:
Do you like:
– The weather in Rochester?
– To watch sports on television?
Shopping for clothes?
To take medicine?
To take walks?
Which do you like better: Swimming or playing sports? Washing dishes or cooking? Meat or vegetablesWatching sports or playing sports? Do you usually pay for things using cash, credit card, or check?
- Personal Expression/general expansion/elaboration
• Tell me about…
– A sport you like
– Someone in your family
– The house or apartment you live in
– Your favorite holiday
• I like to _________ for exercise. What do you do for exercise?
• What kinds of TV shows or movies do you watch?
• How is the neighborhood you live in now different from the neighborhood you lived in as a child?
• Tell me something about the community where you lived when you were a child.
Tell Me about This Picture – Students should be prepared to use the vocabulary associated with the following scenes:
- Aerobics (beautiful blue spandex pants)
- Exercise machines
- Ranch style house
- 2 boys in car with seatbelts
- Soccer balls
- Boys playing in a playground in the park
- Family in the living room watching TV
- Birthday party for a little girl
- Family of 6
- Fire truck
- Airport scene
- Airplane with deplaning passengers
- Pharmacy counter
- Library checkout desk
- Library, woman studying
- Car dealer
- Roadway heading downtown
- Girls playing soccer
- Park, various activities, roller skating
- School bus at bus loop
- Clothes shopping
- Check out at the market
- Woman washing windows
- Neighborhood clean up
- Woman selecting oranges