Next time you have an interview, use these ten tips to help you get the job:
- Prepare. Employers often complain that students fail to research the organization before an interview. Review the company web site, industry trends and your resume, projects, internships/activities. Know your 3 greatest strengths and provide examples. Have stories ready that focus on your leadership, teamwork and projects. The Career Center offers practice interviews to perfect your skills.
- Be a self-promoter. It’s okay to “brag” Give specific examples.
- Process the question before you respond. A few seconds of silence is better than talking yourself into an answer.
- Convey Interest, Confidence and Enthusiasm.
- Be prepared for all types of questions and personalities. Check out sample interview questions which include behavioral interviewing examples. Use the STAR method to answer questions which includes Situation, Task, Action & Results.
- Connect yourself to the position/organization. Be familiar with the job description & skills they desire. How have you demonstrated those traits?
- Be positive and professional at all times to everyone from the CEO to the secretary.
- Turn nervousness into positive energy.
- Prepare and ask good questions. Questions give you a chance to evaluate the position as well as show them your critical thinking skills.
- Get contact information so you may follow up. Write a thank you note & make it personalized by mentioning something specific from the interview.