If you have been laid off, want to switch careers, or are running into dead ends finding a better job, consider following these six steps. Successful job searches involve these key strategies.
- Develop a positive attitude. That may seem difficult to do right now, but realize that people are getting hired every day. People with positive attitudes have distinct advantages over those who don’t when it comes to networking and interviewing.
- Take time to identify your personal strengths. Remember that your job search can be an opportunity to do what you “like” or “want” to do.
- Assess your current skills. Determine which of your skills can be transferred to a field that is growing. Even if you acquired your skills in a field that is no longer growing, you have transferrable skills. Meet with someone at the OACES Career Center to see what resources are available for you to help assess your skills.
- Research new areas. If there is an occupation, career or job that you’ve thought you might like, research it. Think about volunteering to spend some time in that environment.
- Update your resume and interviewing skills. Come into the Career center to see what we can do for you to improve on these skills. Also be sure to check out our scheduled workshops designed specifically you help you improve these skills.
- Learn to network. Create a 45 second commercial about yourself and, most importantly, practice it!!! Knowing your goals when talking to others shows off your confidence and ability to be and think responsibly.